Seasonal Jobs in New Zealand - Seasonal Work in New Zealand
   Home > Information > New Zealand Working Holiday

New Zealand Working Holiday

New Zealand has lots of short-term work opportunities for working holidaymakers. We encourage people on working holiday permits to consider jobs in the areas of agriculture, horticulture and viticulture (grape-growing).

The New Zealand Working Holiday Visa Scheme gives young people aged between 18 and 30 the opportunity to travel to New Zealand and undertake employment during their stay.

Note: From 30 November 2009, the New Zealand working holiday visa age requirements will change for Canadian citizens, who will then be eligible provided they are aged no less than 18 years of age and no more than 35 years of age.

This scheme allows visa holders casual working rights in order to supplement their travels, and as such any work undertaken must be incidental and to the conditions stipulated on the visa.

Most participants in the Working Holiday Scheme are allowed to remain in New Zealand for a total of 12 months, although this time is extended to 23 months if you are from the United Kingdom.

Working holidaymakers who are able to show they have worked in the horticulture or viticulture industries for at least three months could be eligible to obtain an extra three month stay in New Zealand. For more details on this policy, please see the page about the Working Holidaymaker Extension permit.

Working Holiday Visa Conditions

To qualify for this scheme applicants must:

  • Be a citizen of a country which has a working holiday agreement with New Zealand;
  • Meet Working Holiday basic requirements, such as age, health and character prerequisites;
  • Meet specific criteria based on the applicant's country of origin, including the length of stay and available funds; and
  • Have not qualified under the Working Holiday Visa Scheme before.

Using an immigration adviser

If you are using an immigration adviser to help you complete your application, and the adviser is working in New Zealand, they must be licensed. From 4 May 2010 all immigration advisers, whether working onshore or offshore, must be licensed. For more information, go to the Immigration Advisers Authority website

Available schemes

Select from a scheme below to see whether you can qualify and how to apply:

** All information above is provided by NZIS - the New Zealand Immigration Service

Seasonal Work New Zealand

Visit us on Facebook  

Follow us on Twitter  

Chilli Rentals
World Class, Orchard to Market

Advertise here

Employer Login
Forgot password?
Seasonal Jobs RSS Feed